- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It’s official: Tim Tebow is having a bad week.
The 24-year-old quarterback who became a pop culture phenom for his comeback wins and devout Christian faith this past winter saw his job as Denver Broncos play caller taken by future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning, who announced his intention to sign with the team on Monday. And as Tebow’s playing future floated in the air like a Mile High City pass, his most famous parodier returned with a new song about his plight.
Jimmy Fallon, who first introduced the David Bowie-Tebow hybrid Tebowie in January, sang a sadly altered rendition of “Space Oddity” on his show Tuesday, putting to song the events of the past few days.
Masterful lyrics included: Peyton was a Colt, screwed up neck and screwed last season / Spent a year on the bench, and while he was sitting, Tebow was winning / Tebow was the craze, everything was going great / And then came John Elway and he kicked him right in his balls / They replaced him with Peyton / Tebow got shown the back door and now he’s a virgin no more.
Of course, it ends on a hopeful note: Tebow, Fallon sings, will rise again. Whether that’s with the New York Jets, who are rumored to be interested in his services, or another team, remains to be seen.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day