- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The one-on-one hardcourt contest is scheduled to take place on June 16 at Texas Southern University, with the loser donating $5,000 to the charity of winner’s choice.
The matchup originated after Kimmel mocked Cruz during the NBA’s Western Conference Finals, when the Texas senator attended game seven in Houston to watch the hometown Rockets face off against the Golden State Warriors. Kimmel referred to Cruz as a “blobfish,” and the senator responded on Twitter with the challenge to take their tiff to the court.
“If there’s anyone you want to have a beef with, it’s Ted Cruz,” said Kimmel. “This is a guy who during the election, Donald Trump insinuated that his wife was ugly and his dad helped kill JFK, so what did Ted do to retaliate? He endorsed Donald Trump for president. This is a man whose motto is ‘If you can’t beat them, throw away your dignity and grovel before them like a hungry dog.'”
Kimmel dubbed the face-off the “Blobfish Basketball Classic,” with a short promo video touting the event.
Free tickets to the event are available at kimmelvscruz.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day