- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Comedian Joel McHale will host Sports Illustrated’s Sportsperson of the Year event, which will be broadcast on television for the first time.
The event is an important franchise for SI, and has long attracted the sports and sports media A-list. This year’s event, held Dec. 5 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, will air on Dec. 8 on NBCSN and on Dec. 9 on Univision Deportes.
“I’m thrilled to be hosting the first televised Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year Awards at the Barclays Center,” the former Community actor said in a prepared statement. “I only wish the venue was larger.”
Last year’s awards show was hosted by actor and comedian J.B. Smoove.
At the event, the Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award will be presented to football player and social justice activist Colin Kaepernick; the Rising Star Award will be presented to NBA star Joel Embiid; the Performer of the Year award to WNBA star Maya Moore; and the Hope Award to retired baseball player Carlos Beltran. All four athletes will attend the event, as will a long list of SI swimsuit models.
The winner of the 2017 Sportsperson of the Year award will be announced at the event.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Warner Bros. Discovery