- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Last Week Tonight host on multiple occasions has joked about how, every year on his birthday (April 23), he stops to think that he and the WWE World Champion-actor Cena were born on the same day and year — to vastly different lives and physiques. “I think of John Cena on every birthday now, specifically, ‘I am just not one step closer to death, I am 20 steps closer to death than he is,'” Oliver said in a previous interview with Colbert.
Cena, dressed as his character Peacemaker from the highly anticipated The Suicide Squad, told Colbert he is haunted by the shared birthday with Oliver.
“Do you know what it is like living in someone’s shadow? John Oliver said he thinks of me every birthday now — I have thought about John Oliver for 44 years,” Cena joked. “I think this is a psychological warfare tactic by my parents. I try so hard to get my own identity, and just around April 20, I feel pretty good about myself — and then on April 23, I am reminded that I am never, ever possibly going to do anything better than the existence of John Oliver.”
Watch the full interview below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Next Big Thing
The Morning Show
The Late Show