- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
John Oliver says Lowe’s is making a big mistake by introducing robotic shopping assistants.
The home-improvement chain recently announced it plans to install the robots, designed to help customers as they look for various products.
“Robot assistants are a terrible idea,” Oliver said on Sunday’s episode of HBO’s Last Week Tonight. “And here’s why: Sales associates at home-improvement stores are not there to help people buy things; they’re there to stop couples from tearing each other apart. If you really want to test your marriage, go buy home supplies together, because Lowe’s is like a swingers party or a couples brunch — no one is leaving on speaking terms.”
To that end, Oliver then introduced the commercial that rival Home Depot “should be running,” featuring a deadpan Nick Offerman as a sales associate at the chain who also helps a bickering couple work through their issues. Watch the bit below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day