- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
John Oliver wasted no time in talking about last week’s shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 teachers and students dead on Sunday’s episode of Last Week Tonight.
Kicking off the fifth season of his HBO late-night talk show, Oliver argued that lawmakers need to address the issue immediately and stop putting it off.
“These events are now so familiar that we basically automatically know how each side will play out,” Oliver said of the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. ” ‘Thoughts and prayers,’ ‘Fuck your thoughts and prayers,’ ‘It’s a mental-health problem,’ ‘Yeah, but it’s also a gun problem,’ and then someone says, ‘Now is not the time to talk about gun control,’ and everyone moves on until it inevitably happens again.”
Oliver cited the survivors — students — who have been speaking out about this.
“When the ‘Now is not the time’ argument came out, the kids from that school said, ‘You know what? Yes, it fucking is,’ ” he said.
In addition, Oliver weighed in on all the President Trump news that happened while his show was on hiatus, from his “shithole countries” remark to questioning what exactly his foreign policy consists of (while showing Trump saying “America first” repeatedly).
Watch that segment below:
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day