- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It seems if you walk up to LL Cool J and start rapping his lyrics, he won’t act like you’re crazy but will actually join in.
Or at least that’s the experience Last Week Tonight host John Oliver’s wife had. Appearing on The Tonight Show, Oliver recalled how his wife, a huge LL Cool J fan, ended up doing an impromptu duet of “Doin It” when she approached him at the baggage claim area at La Guardia.
The rapper was “waiting for his bag like he’s a normal person, which he obviously isn’t,” Oliver said. “My wife, for reasons best understood to her, decides to go over and speak to him but instead of saying ‘Hello,’ she starts rapping the verses from [‘Doin‘ It’]. She just goes up, no ‘hello,’ and says, ‘I’m gonna call you Big Daddy and scream your name. Matter fact I can’t wait for your candy rain.'”
Oliver explained that LL Cool J was ready to keep going.
“He does not say ‘what?’ or ‘who the f— are you?’ He also doesn’t take the first bag that comes past, saying ‘this is mine’ and make an understandable fast exit,” Oliver says. “He doesn’t miss a beat. He joins in: ‘So what cha sayin,’ I get my swerve on, bring it live. Make it last forever, damn the kitty cat’s tight.’ They do the whole song together!”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day