- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Best known for playing Peggy Bundy on the classic Fox sitcom Married … With Children, Sagal explained how she won the role before discussing how huge the show became for the then-fledgling network.
“It was unbelievable,” she said of the show’s success. “We were all stunned. We would get fan mail that said, ‘My family is just like that,’ or ‘I live next door to those people.'”
Sagal noted the show drew in such big ratings in part because it was watched by those who loved it and hated it, highlighting Terry Rakolta, who famously crusaded to get the show canceled. “We sent her flowers every year,” Sagal said. “She tried to get us off the air and all it did was get us on the front of The New York Times. And it doubled our audience.”
During a recent interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live! the actress noted the cast had no idea if anyone was watching since Fox was so new. In fact, Sagal said she didn’t realize Married … With Children was a hit until she got an accessory for her character.
“I think the first time we knew is when they bought me a wig,” she said. “Because for the first three years, I would just do my own hair. And then all of a sudden, they started dishing out money. Wigs are not cheap.”
Sagal currently stars in Rebel on ABC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day