- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Katie Couric has landed an exclusive interview with the widow of Penn State football coach Joe Paterno. It is the first in-depth interview Sue Paterno has given since the sex-abuse scandal rocked college sports and forever tarnished her husband’s legacy.
Couric visited Sue Paterno at her home in State College, Pa., where she lived with her husband of 50 years until his death in January 2012. That came just two months after he was fired by the university.
STORY: Katie Couric Talk Show Officially Renewed for Second Season
In June, Jerry Sandusky — a former assistant coach at Penn State and a longtime and close colleague of Joe Paterno’s — was convicted of 45 counts of child sexual abuse and sentenced to a minimum of 30 years in prison.
The Paterno family has steadfastly defended Joe Paterno’s actions in the case, saying he did what was expected of him by reporting Sandusky to college administrators. Sue Paterno also is scheduled to appear at Katie‘s New York studio on Feb. 11, when the installment is scheduled to air.
Couric’s latest get comes two weeks after her sit-down with star Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, which gave the show its largest audience since its premiere in September.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day