- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Katie Couric battled bulimia throughout her late-teens and 20s, the talk show host said on Monday.
The mention came on Couric’s new syndicated talk show, Katie, during a candid conversation with X Factor judge Demi Lovato.
Lovato has been open about her personal struggles, including bouts of bulimia and self-injury. And when the subject turns to the former, the onetime CBS Evening News anchor got honest.
“I wrestled with bulimia all through college and for two years after that,” Couric says. “And I know this rigidity, this feeling that if you eat one thing that’s wrong, you’re full of self-loathing and then you punish yourself, whether it’s one cookie or a stick of gum that isn’t sugarless, that I would sometimes beat myself up for that.”
Couric admits that she still struggles to find a healthy approach to eating.
“How do you have a healthy relationship with food, and say, ‘You know what, I can have one cookie and it’s okay?’ That is such a huge thing for people who wrestle with this,” she says.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day