- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Kay Cannon is on the move.
The Pitch Perfect writer and her producing partner Laverne McKinnon have inked a first-look deal with Sony Pictures Television.
Under the pact, the indie studio will have first-look rights to new TV comedies and dramas created by Cannon and McKinnon via their K&L Productions banner.
Cannon and McKinnon met on Girlboss and hit it off. The duo formed K&L Productions after Cannon created, and served as the showrunner for, the Netflix comedy that was produced by McKinnon. Together, their goal is to explore underserved stories in comedy and drama.
Cannon is fresh off Blockers, her directorial debut, and wrote Pitch Perfect. In addition to Girlboss, Cannon’s TV credits include 30 Rock and New Girl. She previously had an overall deal with 20th Century Fox TV.
McKinnon, who also is a certified grief counselor, is the former exec vp originals at Epix and was a senior vp drama development at CBS.
Cannon is repped by WME and Hansen Jacobsen.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Ellen DeGeneres Show