- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The fallout continues for Kevin Spacey following allegations of sexual harassment.
The two-time Oscar winner has been cut from CBS’ upcoming Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Special, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Set to air Sunday, Dec. 3, other previously announced guests for the two-hour special include Jim Carrey, Kristin Chenoweth, Stephen Colbert, Harry Connick Jr., Bill Hader, Jay Leno, Jane Lynch, Bernadette Peters, Maya Rudolph and Martin Short.
CBS is the latest to distance itself from the House of Cards star after Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp alleged on Oct. 29 that Spacey made unwanted sexual advances towards him in 1986 when Spacey was 26 and Rapp was 14. Spacey subsequently issued a statement in which he said he did not remember the incident but “sincerely apologized,” but also drew ire when he used that same statement to come out as a gay man.
Netflix and House of Cards producer Media Right Capital on Oct. 30 issued a statement saying they were “deeply troubled” by the allegation. A day later, the companies suspended production on the political drama, which is currently shooting its sixth and final season, indefinitely.
However, allegations continued to mount against Spacey, including from several House of Cards employees who spoke to CNN about their experience with the actor. One production assistant recalled Spacey putting his hand down his pants without his consent and then later touching him inappropriately a second time. Another crewmember recalled Spacey massaging his shoulders, touching his stomach.
On Friday, Netflix severed all ties with Spacey, including dropping the Gore Vidal biopic Gore that was already in postproduction. The film was set to be released in 2018.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show,” a representative for the streamer said Friday in a statement. “We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in postproduction, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”
MRC issued a statement soon after confirming Spacey had been suspended from the series. “While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of House of Cards, he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus,” the company said.
On the film side, Spacey’s upcoming kidnapping drama All the Money in the World was pulled from the upcoming AFI Fest on Monday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day