- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Kanye West had other things on his mind during the birth of his third child.
His wife, Kim Kardashian, appears on Monday’s episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, where she reveals that West was actually playing a game while his second daughter was being delivered via surrogate.
“We had a connecting room and Kanye was in there playing Connect Four with his friends and not really paying attention,” she said. “I was like, ‘Kourtney, I need you to be here with me,'” she added of her sister.
Kardashian added that Connect Four is West’s favorite game.
The baby, Chicago, joined big sister North, age four, and big brother Saint, age two. She’s called Chi — pronounced “Shy” — for short.
Kardashian said she’d wanted to stick to one-syllable names, at one point considering Jo — in a nod to her maternal grandmother, Mary Jo — or Grace. DeGeneres asked Kardashian if that was a nod to West’s hometown.
“That is a place that made him and a place that he remembers his family from,” she said, indicating that wasn’t entirely the reason for the name. “He really wanted his mother’s name [Donda, who died in 2007], and I love that name, too. I just wasn’t sure if it’s too much to live up to. I just felt like Chicago is cool and different.”
Watch the segment below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day