- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The network is developing Better Late, a multicamera show from David E. Talbert about a first-time dad whose own long-absent father reappears in his life. ABC Signature, where SpringHill has an overall deal for scripted TV projects, is producing.
Better Late is based on Talbert’s own life and will follow a new father whose world is further turned upside down when his own dad, a charismatic deadbeat, shows back up hoping for a do-over with his son and a relationship with his grandson. The potential series will tackle notions of forgiveness, second chances and finding the silver lining in even the cloudiest of situations.
Talbert will write the project and executive produce with his wife and producing partner, Lyn Sisson-Talbert, and The SpringHill Company.
In addition to 2016’s Almost Christmas, Talbert’s credits as a writer and director include Netflix’s Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey and features Baggage Claim (which is based on a novel he wrote) and First Sunday. Talbert, SpringHill and ABC previously collaborated on a comedy called White Dave in the network’s 2017-18 development cycle.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day