- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Lionsgate has picked up the remake rights to Rest in Peace, a crime procedural from Croatia, marking the first time a Croatian format has sold to a major North American production company.
Originally produced by Ring Multimedia for local public broadcaster HRT, Rest in Peace stars Judita Frankovic (Sonja and the Bull) as a young journalist who teams up with a retired prison guard (veteran actor Miodrag Krivokapic) to investigate the secrets buried in a prison cemetery. The show has garnered critical acclaim for its examination of Croatia’s troubled past — including during the Yugoslav war and under communist dictatorship.
Ring owner Dario Vince created the series based on an idea from Koraljka Mestrovic and Goran Rukavina.
The first 12-episode season of Rest in Peace attracted attention last year at the Seoul International Drama Awards, where it was part of the official competition.
Ring is currently in negotiations for a second season of the show on HRT. A U.S. version is not expected before 2015, an HRT spokesperson said. Swedish sales group Eccho Rights is handling international sales on the original series.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day