- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After 27 years, Steve Whitmire will no longer be the voice of Kermit the Frog, a Muppets Studio spokeswoman confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.
Whitmire took over the role of the beloved Muppet frog after character creator Jim Henson died in 1990. Whitmire was personally picked by Henson’s family to take over as Kermit.
Muppets performer Matt Vogel will take over as Kermit the Frog. His first time as the character will be in a “Muppets Thought of the Week” video next week, the spokeswoman confirmed.
Muppet fan site Tough Pigs was first to report Whitmire was leaving the Muppets.
He also voiced Kermit on ABC’s one-and-done live-action Muppets series. The Muppets Studio spokeswoman declined to discuss the details behind Whitmire’s departure.
Whitmire has been with the Muppets production since 1978, starting on The Muppet Show, according to the fan site.
Whitmire could not be reached for comment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day