- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Love Is_ is no more at OWN. The romantic drama, which received a second season order back in July, has been retroactively canceled in the wake of domestic violence allegations levied against co-creator Salim Akil.
To be clear, the allegations are unrelated to the Warner Bros.-produced drama. And a November and December internal inquiry is said to have revealed no evidence of abuse or assault relating to Love Is_ or Akil’s other show at the network, The CW’s Black Lightning. But the fact that actress Amber Dixon Brenner has filed a lawsuit claiming that she was Akil’s longtime girlfriend, while during his marriage to Love Is_ co-creator Mara Brock Akil, took the wind out of the semi-autobiographical love story’s sails.
Akil has only spoken out about the allegations through his attorney, who issued the following statement in November: “These allegations are deeply upsetting — but they are also totally untrue. We will defend Salim to the fullest against the false and offensive claims that a woman with whom he had a past relationship has included in multiple unsubstantiated lawsuits. Salim looks forward to clearing his name and to being able to focus on his work and his family.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day