- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Liberace had a taste for the finer things in life, from floor-length furs to priceless jewels, and his taste in cars was no different.
In HBO’s Behind the Candelabra, Michael Douglas plays the pianist opposite Matt Damon, cast as his younger lover, Scott Thorson. The couple met in 1977, when Thorson was just 18 and Liberace was 57. They remained together until 1982.
STORY: Matt Damon, Michael Douglas: HBO’s Telepic ‘Liberace’ Won’t Be A ‘Caricature’
In this first official image from the hotly buzzed biopic of the flamboyant showman, the couple strikes a cream-colored pose in a bright showroom, standing next to a vintage Corvette coupe.
Director Steven Soderbergh told journalists at TCA in January that he had sought out to tell the story of a “real” relationship. Damon echoed the sentiment, saying: “We weren’t giggling about it. These were people’s lives. We wanted to get it right.”
The movie, based on Thorson’s 1988 memoir, Behind the Candelabra: My Life With Liberace, premieres on HBO in May.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day