- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Matt Lauer and Al Roker are definitely committed to promoting men’s health.
The Today mainstays will undergo prostate exams — live and on camera — during Thursday’s episode of the NBC show. It’s part of a monthlong campaign raising awareness of men’s health issues.
VIDEO: Matt Lauer and Al Roker Get Prostate Exams on ‘Today’
In 2000, Katie Couric memorably underwent a colonoscopy on Today to encourage screenings after the 1998 death of her husband from colon cancer. The on-air procedure brought in big ratings, and health care professionals credited Couric’s example with contributing to a 20 percent spike in colonoscopies in the ensuing years.
PHOTOS: 81 of Fall TV’s Biggest Stars
Couric also had a mammogram on TV in 2005, while Roker underwent a colonoscopy on Today in 2009.
The CDC recommends that men over 40 consult their doctor about possibly undergoing a prostate exam.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Producers on Queer Representation, Activism: “It’s Become a Mission For Us”
saturday night live
‘Awards Chatter’ Podcast — Martin Short (‘Only Murders in the Building’ and ‘Saturday Night Live’)
“Let’s Swing Big”: ‘THR Presents’ Q&A With the Creative Team Behind ‘Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies’