- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A screening party for MTV’s Siesta Key was canceled after one of the reality show’s stars was the subject of death threats.
The Tampa Bay Times reports that threats against Alex Kompothecras caused organizers to pull the party that was set to take place Monday night in Sarasota, Florida, where Siesta Key is filmed.
The reality show, which follows eight young people enjoying a hedonistic summer in Florida and has been described as a mix between The Hills and Laguna Beach, has been dogged by controversy. Kompothecras in particular has elicited a fierce social media backlash after one of his friends was caught on camera dragging a shark behind a boat.
A Facebook page and Twitter hashtag calling for the boycott of Siesta Key appeared when the shark video went viral, and there was online talk of organizing a protest at the same time as the premiere party.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day