- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
MEXICO CITY — MTV Latin America has begun development on the Spanish-language telenovela Popland, its first fully produced scripted series.
The network announced out of the Miami NATPE conference on Wednesday that it has greenlit 75 one-hour episodes of Popland, which focuses on a small town girl who lands a job as a paparazzi in the big city.
MTV Networks International’s sales arm will handle worldwide distribution for the new series and the network says it has slated a Latin America pan-regional premiere for later this year.
Popland is MTV Latin America’s second telenovela production. Its first original novela, dubbed Ninas Mal, was co-produced with Sony Pictures Television.
Ninas Mal was shot on location in Colombia. Locations, cast and crew for Popland will be announced at a later date. El Capo scribe Marcelo Camano is co-writing Popland with Ninas Mal screenwriter Claudia Bono.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day