- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
MTV is bringing back Spring Break.
The network said Wednesday that it will reviving its long-running franchise in 2019.
The new MTV Spring Break will be held March 19-21 at the Grand Oasis Hotel in Cancun, Mexico, and will feature “its signature mix of high-energy performances, surprise celebrity guests and thousands of young people,” MTV said. For the first time, MTV will also concurrently host alternative Spring Break events for young activists.
Spring Break aired on MTV until 2005 and then moved to MTVU until 2014. It has featured such artists as Lil Wayne and Pink and stars like Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon in locations throughout the Caribbean and the American South.
The move is part of MTV’s effort to expand its live events business, which ncludes its recent acquisition of the SnowGlobe Music Festival, in order to “grow beyond cable.”
Under network president Chris McCarthy, MTV has steered away from scripted series and focused more on its roots as a destination for the hard-to-reach millennial demo that made the network a success after launching in the 1980s.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
House of the Dragon