- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Say what you will about Chelsea Handler, her hosting job didn’t hurt the VMA’s ratings.
MTV’s annual event drew its biggest audience for any telecast on the network since 2002.
The VMAs had 11.4 million viewers, up 27% from 2009. In the network’s 12-34 demo, the show pulled a 10.0 rating, up 33%.
Recent VMAs have shown a marked improvement from the telecast’s ratings slump a few years ago, such as when the 2006 music awards drew only 5.8 million viewers. Last year’s audience (9 million) was the most-watched since 2004.
The Los Angeles-based show saw Lady Gaga walk away with three statues (in a raw meat dress, no less), as well as Taylor Swift and Kanye West performing new songs.
Though the VMAs lacked a single nuclear-buzz moment, MTV has been riding high this summer thanks to “Jersey Shore” and aired a season two marathon of the reality hit leading up to the awards show’s telecast.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day