- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It took several months for the production team behind TLC’s new series, My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding, to find the American versions of its British subjects. But once they did, they discovered that they weren’t all that different from their UK counterparts — particularly when it came to their sexual lives.
“The biggest similarity between the gypsies in England and America is the morality, particularly with the girls,” executive producer David Herman of Firecracker Films tells The Hollywood Reporter. “They are always separate from the boys. They’re always chaperoned. And that’s part of why they get married with the big dresses and everything as soon as they can at 16 or 17, I think.”
“It’s a common thing for closed, protected communities,” he later adds. “In the first episode, the mother says, ‘I won’t tell my daughter about sex. She needs to learn the hard way like I did.’ It’s amazing.”
Watch THR’s preview above for some insights into what both the gypsy girls and boys want.
My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding premieres Sunday at 10 p.m. on TLC.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day