- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Despite the title, TLC’s My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding isn’t just about exposing nomadic Gypsies and Travellers for their outrageous marriage customs. The series also features the over-the-top celebrations of its little girls’ first holy communion – which can look like a rehearsal for when they walk down the aisle later in life.
On Friday’s episode, we’ll meet eight-year-old Chloe. She’s prepared to take the next step in her relationship with the guy upstairs. Thelma Madine, the Travellers’ preferred dress designer, has really gone all out with making Chloe’s dress as large and poufy as possible.
And while it will take an army to push that girl into the car and get her to the church, everyone is going to try to make sure it goes off without a hitch. Why? It’s also Father’s Day, but Chloe’s dad won’t be able to make it to the event. He’s serving a nine-month sentence for reckless driving. After the ceremony, Chloe will head over to the prison to visit him — still wearing the dress.
So what may seem to most people like a terribly garish gown for a young girls’ first communion will not only be the highlight of the event for Chloe, but it will probably make her dad’s day too.
Watch THR’s sneak peek above.
My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding airs Fridays at 10 p.m. on TLC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day