- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The network has released key art that features its four main actors in character. The image shows David Alan Grier as the Cowardly Lion, Shanice Williams as Dorothy, Ne-Yo as the Tin Man and Elijah Kelley as the Scarecrow.
The Wiz tells the familiar story of The Wizard of Oz in an African-American/multicultural context. First adapted as a 1978 film starring Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Lena Horne and Richard Pryor, it centers on a young woman from Kansas (Dorothy) who is swept up in a tornado and relocated to a fantasy world populated by munchkins, good and bad witches and flying monkeys. When she eventually takes a path down a yellow-brick road to find a wizard who can help her go home, she meets a scarecrow, a tin man and a cowardly lion.
In keeping with its musical holiday tradition, NBC’s The Wiz Live! marks the network’s third live-event special following The Sound of Music and Peter Pan — both of which were executive produced by former Oscar helmers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. The pair also is executing producing this year’s The Wiz, with Tony-winning director Kenny Leon set to direct.
The special will air Thursday, Dec. 3, on NBC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day