- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO — Netflix Canada has crossed the one million subscriber mark ten months after launching a local video streaming service.
The one millionth customer, Amanda Bell James, is from Flin Flon, Manitoba, and has earned a lifetime membership to the U.S.-based online video subscription service for the honor.
“We’re thrilled that Canadians have embraced Netflix so rapidly, and are we’re equally proud to have welcomed one million members in such a short period,” Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a statement Thursday.
Netflix Canada has maintained a $7.99 a month subscription service for unlimited movies and TV show viewing via the Internet.
The quick expansion of Netflix Canada has led the U.S. video streaming giant to ramp up its international expansion.
Parent Netflix recently said it will expand to Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean.
And Netflix has signed an output deal with Lionsgate UK ahead of an expected expansion into the British market.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day