- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Directed by George C. Wolfe and based on Pulitzer Prize winner August Wilson’s 1982 play, the film explores racial tensions in Chicago in 1927 while following Ma Rainey (Viola Davis), her Black horn player and white management team.
Black Panther star Boseman, who plays the role of Levee in the film, died of colon cancer on Aug. 28 at age 43. Following his death, Netflix delayed a virtual preview that it had planned for the project.
“Working with Chadwick on Ma Rainey was a glorious experience,” said Wolfe in a statement at the time. “Everyday we all got to witness the ferocity of his talent and the gentleness of his heart. A truly blessed, loving, gifted and giving human being.”
The movie also stars Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman, and Taylor Paige, and is produced by Denzel Washington, Todd Black, and Dany Wolf.
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom premieres Dec. 18. View the first look images below.
Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman star in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, a new film based on August Wilson’s award-winning play from director George C. Wolfe and producer Denzel Washington. @MaRaineyFilm premieres December 18. pic.twitter.com/ErhrQAW4nU
— Netflix (@netflix) September 30, 2020
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day