- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The streaming service has ordered a new comedy series executive produced by Hurwitz and starring comedienne Maria Bamford, it was announced Friday.
Lady Dynamite, a single-camera half-hour comedy, is based on what Bamford has accepted to be “her life.” The occasionally surreal episodes, inspired by multiple periods across the span of her life, tell the story of a woman who loses — and then finds — her shit.
Hurwitz and Pam Brady (South Park) wrote the pilot and will both executive produce with Bamford. Brady will also serve as showrunner. Lady Dynamite is a Netflix production.
The streaming service has ordered 13 episodes of the series, which joins fellow original comedies Orange Is the New Black, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Grace and Frankie and the animated comedy BoJack Horseman. Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp debuts in July.
Hurwitz, who signed a multiyear overall deal with the company in 2014, is also an executive producer on Will Arnett‘s forthcoming Netflix comedy Flaked. There has also been chatter about a fifth season of Arrested Development in recent months, but nothing has been confirmed.
Bamford’s credits include Arrested Development and Benched. She is repped by Omnipop Talent Group and Ginsburg Daniels.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day