- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The streaming service has renewed the twisted family drama for a third season, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The renewal is for another round of 10 episodes, down from its freshman order of 13. The series will return in 2017.
A third season of the Florida Keys-set thriller from Sony Pictures Television had been highly uncertain as the Sunshine State’s tax incentives program expired this year and the Florida state legislature voted against replenishing the funds. Bloodline, along with Miami-set HBO football comedy Ballers, had scooped up the last of the monies from the $300 million the state had allocated in 2010, allowing both shows to get through their second seasons with financial breaks. But now, with the incentives pot dry, another season of Bloodline would have been a pricier undertaking.
The cast and crew, however, had been aware of the drama’s uncertain future for months. In an effort to lobby lawmakers before the legislative vote took place in March, Bloodline script supervisor Kathryn Waters wrote a Facebook post in January imploring business owners in the Keys to email a “Friends of Bloodline” Gmail address about the impact of the show on the local community. (According to a film impact study, the series helped create more than $91 million in economic output by way of production spending and tourism in its first season.) “If new money is not made available, it is doubtful that Bloodline will have a season three,” Waters wrote at the time.
For their part, series creators and executive producers Todd A. Kessler, Daniel Zelman and Glenn Kessler, who have said that they have a five- or six-season plan for the drama, acknowledged the complicated situation at the season two premiere on June 1 in Los Angeles.
“Netflix is evaluating how it’s doing for them and how it’s performing, and are very hopeful that there will be a future as are we,” Todd A. Kessler told THR, adding that the show isn’t filmed in the Keys strictly because of the financial enticements. “We decided to set the show there … because it’s crucial to what the show is, not because of the tax incentive, but it does affect things financially for us and the show will be challenged because of that. It makes things more difficult.”
It’s unclear if the series will move out of Florida or remain in the same location, sans tax rebate funds.
The fate of Ballers, the Dwayne Johnson vehicle that also films in Florida, has yet to be announced. Season two of the HBO comedy bows Sunday and the fate of season three has not yet been determined. “We have a long history of shooting projects in Florida and were obviously disappointed in the recent vote to not renew the incentive program,” HBO said in a statement to THR in April. “We will be assessing its impact on any future productions like Ballers, who have established Florida as their home.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day