- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Netflix will stream its first Indian comedy special featuring one of the country’s leading stand-up comedians, Vir Das.
The special, which will be taped at one of Das’ shows in New Delhi in October, will stream on Netflix worldwide, according to a statement from Das’ reps.
Das will follow in the footsteps of comedy heavyweights such as Kevin Hart, Louis C.K., Chris Tucker, Bo Burnham and Bill Burr, among many others, who have all filmed Netflix Original Comedy Specials.
While North American comedic talents of Indian origin such as Aziz Ansari and Russell Peters also have taped specials for Netflix, Das becomes the first India-based comic to feature in the Original Comedy Specials series.
“I look forward to being an authentic, Indian voice on that world circuit,” Das said in the statement.
Further details as to when the special will be streamed were not given. The Hollywood Reporter has reached out for comment from Netflix.
In addition to being a stand-up comic (he recently concluded a U.S. tour), Das also has acted in Bollywood movies, such as 2011’s Delhi Belly. In January, he was signed by Levity Entertainment — which has worked with the likes of Jamie Foxx, Tracy Morgan and Amy Schumer — as its first Indian comic talent. Das continues to be repped by CAA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day