- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Kathy Griffin delivered a New Year’s surprise to co-host Anderson Cooper, the crowd in New York’s Times Square and most likely many viewers at home, on Saturday night during the duo’s live NYE coverage for CNN.
The comedian, who has been reprimanded by the network in years past for using profanity and yelling at a heckler while serving as host, broke another rule Dec. 31. During a comercial break, Griffin stripped down to her bra and underwear, unbeknownst to Cooper.
“Oh, my Lord,” he exclaimed as the camera panned back, revealing Griffin’s new look. “Are you frickin’ kidding me,” Cooper asked multiple times before telling viewers, he didn’t know she was planning to remove her clothes.
Griffin tried to explain the prank, by comparing her skimpy state to the event’s previous performer, Lady Gaga. “I was inspired,” she said.
But, Cooper wasn’t having it, and held up a “No Nudity” sign while Griffin argued that she wasn’t nude and called the broadcaster a “big square who won’t let me have any fun.”
Watch the segment below.
is one of our greatest living actresses,” the comedian writes in this week’s THR. “She’s Jane F–ing Fonda. Don’t tell me she’s only castable as the grandmother. That’s insane!””]
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day