- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The NFL is set to announce a new domestic-violence and sexual-assault policy next month, NBC News reported Wednesday morning, roughly two months after the league began dealing with a domestic-violence scandal prompted by the release of a disturbing video featuring former Balitmore Ravens running back Ray Rice knocking out then-fiancee Janay Palmer.
The new policy will also include the formation of a crisis response team with league officials trained as first responders, NBC News reported as part of an interview on Today with the three female domestic-violence experts appointed to advise the NFL on how to deal with the issue.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last month that the league would consult outside experts to revise its personal conduct policy and work to educate players and employees. The personal conduct policy is still under review and still set to be revised in time for the Super Bowl, an NFL spokesperson clarified to The Hollywood Reporter.
That’s different from the new domestic-violence and sexual-assault policy, which will consist of procedures and resources to manage an NFL player or employee dealing with a domestic-violence or sexual-assault situation, the NFL spokesperson said.
Next week, the league is set to begin giving presentations to teams on how to identify and prevent future attacks.
The NFL has already met with domestic-violence and sexual-assault experts, started to revise the league’s conduct policy and begun conducting mandatory education sessions, NFL spokeswoman Joanna Hunter told NBC News.
But this week, a series of PSAs featuring current and former stars including New York Giants QB Eli Manning, Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten and Minnesota Vikings Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter will begin airing during games. The PSAs are a partnership between No More and Mariska Hargitay‘s The Joyful Heart Foundation
The spots, directed by Hargitay, Tate Donovan and Blair Underwood, debuted on Today on Wednesday and feature players saying things like “No more, ‘Boys will be boys,’ ” “No more, ‘I’ll say something next time’ ” and “No more, ‘She looks fine to me.’ “
No More is designed to raise awareness of and work to end domestic violence and sexual assault.
In an interview, a former head of New York City’s sex crimes unit, Lisa Friel, who’s part of the NFL’s new team of advisers, said the NFL is still figuring out when to punish players accused of domestic violence.
“It won’t be upon an allegation, I can tell you that,” she said. “And it won’t be merely upon an arrest. It will be at somewhere farther down the process.”
She also indicated that people can be reformed.
“We need to have an opportunity for people to have a second chance, to earn their way into being back on the field and playing,” she said.
Watch video of the NFL’s No More PSAs and NBC’s report with the NFL’s task force below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day