- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Viacom is making good on its film and TV studio plans to produce movies for Netflix.
Viacom CEO Bob Bakish, on an analyst call Tuesday, said Viacom’s Nickelodeon Studios division will produce two original animated movies for Netflix based on The Loud House and the Rise of the Teenage Mutant Turtles properties.
Bakish touted the movie deal as part of Nickelodeon and Viacom’s broader efforts to tap into Nickelodeon’s IP to continue producing new content for digital and linear platforms. Viacom already produces Pinky Malinky for Netflix, in addition to the reimagined live-action series Avatar: The Last Airbender, which recently started production.
The Netflix movie deal also follows Paramount last month taking The Loud House Movie off its 2020 release calendar.
The Loud House, currently in its third season, is Nickelodeon’s No. 2 series among its targeted kids two to 11 demographic, behind only SpongeBob SquarePants at the network. The animated show revolves around Lincoln Loud, a boy growing up in a family with 10 sisters.
Nickelodeon later this year will debut a new animated spinoff of The Loud House property, The Casagrandes.
The Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series recently returned to the Nickelodeon schedule. That popular 2D cartoon follows brothers Raph, Leo, Donnie and Mickey, along with their ally April O’Neil, as they unlock the mystical secrets of New York City.
Bakish on the analyst call stressed the two projects were original movies, and not TV series, and would promote the existing Nickelodeon channel offerings.
“This is both incremental business and powerful promotion for these two franchises,” Bakish told investors. During a Viacom earnings call in November, Paramount Pictures CEO Jim Gianopulos first unveiled plans for a multi-picture deal with Netflix.
The Viacom deal contrasts with Disney and Warner Bros. pulling their movies from Netflix to service their own future streaming services.