- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The State of the Union may be strong, but the viewership for presidentObama’s first official address slipped from last year’s comparable telecast.
Obama’s State of the Union Address was witnessed by 48 million viewersacross 11 networks.
The president’s speech declined 8% from his Address to the Joint Sessions of Congress speechlast February. The number is also below the first official State of the Union Address made by George W. Bush (51.8 million) in 2002 after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Yet as latter-day State of the Union telecasts go, last night scored higher than average, and was up from Bill Clinton’s first official Address (45.8 million) in 1994. ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, TEL, UNI, CNN, BET, CNBC, FOXNC and MSNBC carried last night’s telecast. The speech also improved upon the president’s last primetime speech in December on Afghanistan.
*Officially an “Address to the Joint Sessions of Congress”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day