- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Once Upon a Time closed out season five with two new villains and an uncertain future for Storybrooke residents. With Mr. Hyde (Sam Witwer) gaining control over the small town and the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) back with a vengeance, the heroes have to watch their backs.
After a whirlwind trip to the Underworld — which brought back Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) and killed Hades (Greg Germann) as well as Robin Hood (Sean Maguire) — plus a visit to the Land of Untold Stories with Dr. Jekyll (Hank Harris) and Mr. Hyde, a lot of questions were left unanswered.
Below, The Hollywood Reporter runs down a dozen burning questions the ABC fairy tale drama set up as it heads into season six in the fall.
1. What does Mr. Hyde want to do to Storybrooke?
In the finale, Hyde tells the heroes that he wants to bring people from the Land of Untold Stories to Storybrooke so their tales will finally be shared. Does he want to run them all out of Storybrooke, or just bring his people in?
2. Now that Jekyll and Hyde are separated, will they work together or against each other?
With only one episode to learn about Jekyll and Hyde’s dynamic, it’s unclear whether the split personalities will collaborate or fight in season six. Or more importantly, will Hyde kill Jekyll for good?
3. Will the show bring in more Disney characters, or veer toward other historical figures?
When Henry (Jared Gilmore) was in the New York City Public Library, the other versions of his fairytale book showed stories like Gulliver’s Travels and historical figures like Don Quixote. Could Once Upon a Time be diving into non-Disney fairytale characters?
4. How will the Land of Untold Stories folks get to Storybrooke?
After everyone jumped into that portal from Jekyll and Hyde’s land to Storybrooke, it closed. How exactly is he going to shepherd everyone from his town to Storybrooke? Magic? And on that note…
5. Just how much magic is left in Storybrooke?
Henry zapped all the magic away in New York City, but then he used the power of hundreds of penny wishes to bring it back. So where does Storybrooke stand on their magical status? Because it seems like the Evil Queen has some still.
6. How does the Evil Queen survive without a heart?
It’s unclear how the Evil Queen was able to resurrect herself, especially after Regina crushed her heart. Is she immortal, or did she use a spell on herself to survive anything? She presumably killed the Dragon (Tzi Ma), and her next stop will likely be Storybrooke to take down Regina.
7. Will Rumplestiltskin ever wake Belle?
Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) was able to get Pandora’s Box back from Hyde, where Belle (Emilie de Ravin) is safe and sound in a sleeping curse, but Belle’s father said he refused to wake her unless Rumple was gone. Will he sacrifice his home in Storybrooke to give Belle a happy ending, or will he find another way to save her?
8. Is Zelena completely trustworthy now?
Zelena proved her allegiance to Regina when she killed Hades to save them, but her overall motives are still questionable. Hopefully motherhood to little Robin softens her up and leaves her status as a full-blown hero.
9. How is Hook alive, and is he in any danger?
It seems like Zeus brought Hook back to life in exchange for killing his evil brother Hades, but is there a catch there? Will Hook have to do anything in the future for Zeus, or is he home free to finally be happy with Emma?
10. Is there a chance for Robin Hood to pop up in Storybrooke again?
It’s unlikely that Regina will lead a mission down to the Underworld to save Robin, and even if she did, does she have a heart to split now that she ripped out the Evil Queen’s and crushed it? It’s unclear how much of a heart Regina has now. But if there is a chance for Robin to communicate with her from the Underworld somehow — Hook ruffled some pages of the storybook, so maybe Robin can do the same — it would be nice.
11. Will the Underworld be revisited with King Arthur in charge?
Before Hook left the Underworld, he met King Arthur, who made himself the new ruler of the Underworld. Could Once Upon a Time return there next season to check in, or is his storyline wrapped for good?
12. Will Mulan, Ruby and Dorothy return to Storybrooke?
After Ruby (Meghan Ory) and Dorothy (Teri Reeves) shared True Love’s kiss, did they settle down in Oz, or will they come back to Storybrooke? Mulan (Jamie Chung) was seeming lonely after her unrequited love with Aurora (Sarah Bolger), so it could be time for her to make a new life in the small Maine town. Unfortunately her friend Merida (Amy Manson) returned to Camelot in the finale, but Mulan still has connections in Storybrooke.
Once Upon a Time will return Sundays at 8 p.m. this fall.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day