- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW YORK – Most comments on the message board of Oprah Winfrey‘s Web site have lauded this weekend’s launch of OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. But according to the New York Post, it also contained posts from fans upset that they now have to pay to see the talk show queen.
People mentioned that they either don’t want to or can’t afford to pay for a cable TV package or can only afford basic cable. OWN, a joint venture with Discovery Communications, is generally available on higher and somewhat more expensive tiers.
“Cannot believe Oprah would launch a new show on a cable channel that is not part of the basic service,” wrote one fan, according to the Post. “She will be losing some of her most loyal fans because they either do not have cable or they have basic cable. I have basic cable and do not plan on changing my cable service.”
Another person wrote: “I am very disappointed that I will not be able to watch Oprah (whom I love). I cannot afford to pay the extra monthly fee.”
The vast majority of comments were from people who welcomed and loved the new channel though, according to the Post.
OWN launched Saturday, and TV critics have also weighed in with first reviews.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day