- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The move puts her in company with Brad Pitt, who already is on board as a producer via his Plan B production company, and its execs Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner. Plan B was behind 12 Years a Slave, the slave drama that just nabbed 10 Oscar nominations.
Also producing Selma is Christian Coulson, who won an Oscar for producing Slumdog Millionaire. Pathe, the company which financed last year’s Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, is financing Selma, and the company’s Cameron McCracken also is producing.
Selma details the attempts of black marchers to walk from Selma to Montgomery, the capital of Alabama, in 1965 in order to gain voting rights, only to be beaten back by police. It took the organizers three attempts to make the journey as marchers swelled in numbers each time. It was also a critical time in King’s life
“It’s a subject matter close to her heart,” Ava DuVernay, who is directing the movie, tells The Hollywood Reporter. “The producers are behind some of the most forward-thinking movies of last year, and they are all coming together.”
Winfrey played Oyelowo’s mother in Lee Daniels’ The Butler and seems to be making more moves into movies after a long absence. She also is producing The Hundred-Foot Journey for DreamWorks.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day