- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Winfrey — who co-stars in and produced the film — screamed, “Selma!” to the crowd, which the event’s attendees shouted back, according to a WSFA reporter.
The event was organized to pay tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.‘s civil rights efforts and mirrored the narrative of the Oscar-nominated film, which focused on the backstory of the 1965 voting-rights march from Selma to Montgomery.
Democratic Rep. Terri Sewell, Alabama’s only black Congress member, was slated to lead a panel discussion at Selma High School as part of the all-day event.
In addition, Paramount is holding two free screenings of the film Monday in Selma to celebrate Martin Luther King Day.
A photo from the event can be seen below.
Oprah greeted the crowd as only she can, screaming SELMA!!!! Which of course the crowd responded back! pic.twitter.com/X8tXv8zm0u
— Hannah Lane (@HannahLaneWSFA) January 18, 2015
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day