- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
OWN is hoping Deion “Prime Time” Sanders is good for primetime.
The Oprah Winfrey Network has handed out a series order to It’s Prime Time, a docuseries starring the former two-sport superstar.
The series will feature the ex-football and baseball star and current NFL Network broadcaster as he raises five children in a household that also includes his mother, her foster children, aunt and uncle while guiding the charter school he launched to help underserved areas.
Prime Time also will feature Sanders’ girlfriend — producer/businesswoman Tracey Edmonds — and her two sons as she looks to support her partner. Edmonds Entertainment, Prime Time Media Ventures and Rogue Atlas Productions, in association with Lionsgate, will produce the series. Eli Frankel, Edmonds and Sanders will executive produce.
This marks Sanders’ second docuseries, following Oxygen’s short-lived 2008 Deion & Pilar: Prime Time Love. That show featured Sanders and his then-wife at home and ran for eight episodes. It comes at a time when cable networks continue to look for their own Kardashian franchise.
OWN, ahead of its Thursday presentation at the Television Critics Association’s press tour, also unveiled the summer lineup and premiere dates for Oprah’s Next Chapter.
Winfrey will sit down with Hugh Jackman on July 28, Gloria Estefan (Aug. 4), the cast of Lee Daniels’ The Butler (Aug. 11), Lindsay Lohan (Aug. 18) and Tina Turner (Aug. 25).
Additionally, the network also announced premiere dates for its fall schedule:
• Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse season three — Sept. 18 (9, 9:30 p.m.)
• Six Little McGhees — Sept. 7
• Oprah’s Lifeclass — Sept. 8 (9 p.m.)
• Super Soul Sunday — Sept. 22 (11 a.m.)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day