A video posted online Sunday, just as millions were gathering in Paris’ Republique square for a historical march, shows kosher grocery gunman Amedy Coulibaly claiming to have coordinated his action with the Charlie Hebdo gunmen Said and Cherif Kouachi.
Pictured variously in front of an Islamic State (ISIS) flag and with an assault weapon and in a military vest in the seven-minute video, Coulibaly — who killed four in the grocery store seige before being killed by police — says he is associated with the militant group and gave “several thousand euros” to the Kouachi brothers to carry out their attack against the satirical newspaper.
“We did things a little bit together, a little bit separate, so that it would have more impact,” he said in the video.
He also answered a series of prepared questions shown in text on the screen, and when asked what his advice to Muslims is, he responded with rhetorical questions: “What are you doing when the prophet is insulted repeatedly? What are you doing when they massacre entire populations?”
In the background, you can hear the voice of a television presenter, leading investigators believe the video was shot after Coulibaly first killed a policewoman in the suburb of Montrouge on Thursday, and before he took hostages at the kosher grocery Friday. French police are also now linking him with the shooting of a jogger that took place on Wednesday.
French authorities said they were attempting to stop distribution of the video, but it had been posted to known ISIS accounts. The hashtag #IamKouachi was also trending on twitter, seemingly in support of the killer brothers and in direct reference to the #JeSuisCharlie (IAmCharlie) hashtag adopted by millions around the world to honor the slain cartoonists.