- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
When contestants of Top Chef: Texas saw a table stacked high with pancakes, some figured the episode’s secret celebrity judge must be a kid.
But then came the sound of a bicycle horn as Paul Reubens, better known as Pee-wee Herman, road in on his fabled red bicycle.
“I love pancakes. I mean, I’m not gonna marry one, but I love them anyway,” said Reubens as Herman
The contestants were given 20 minutes to make pancakes for Reubens to judge. The winner of received $5,000.
“$5,000 for a pancake? Wow, that’s a stack,” Reubens said.
The segment of the Bravo series was shot in San Antonio, Texas. The city was also featured in Big Adventure, in a scene in which Pee-Wee travels to the Alamo in search of his missing bicycle.
“I came here to film Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, to the Alamo, many years ago,” Reubens said. “It’s the first time I’ve been back. It’s thrilling. Thank you so much for having me.”
Reubens, 59, revived Pee-wee in 2010 through club performances and later a Broadway show. He told THR last year a third big screen outing for the character, produced by Judd Apatow, was in the works.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day