- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the Oct. 11 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
1. A Desperate Plea for Oprah
Morgan e-mailed Oprah Winfrey BFF Gayle King for help in getting the legend to appear on his show’s premiere week: “Short of parasailing naked onto the White House roof, I’m prepared to do anything.” It worked: She was his first guest.
2. Mel Gibson Has Manners …
As the star feuded with Oksana Grigorieva, Morgan drove to his house to pitch in-person. Gibson’s first words: “Can I get you a beer?” After several hours, Gibson turned him down, saying, “I don’t trust myself not to … say stuff I’d regret.”
3. … But Tom Cruise Doesn’t
At 2011’s Evening Before Emmy party, Cruise bumped into Morgan and sent his drink flying but didn’t stop to apologize. When wife Katie Holmes paused to talk, Morgan invited her on his show — with one condition. “Under no circumstances are you allowed to bring him with you,” he said. Holmes giggled, “OK, understood.”
4. Murdoch Doesn’t Do Favors
Morgan invited his ex-News of the World boss Rupert Murdoch to be on his show but was told there was a “zero in a hundred” chance he’d appear on a Fox News rival channel.
5. Beatty Has Low Standards
At a Lakers game, Morgan asked Warren Beatty if he would sleep with any woman. Beatty said yes, “because you just never know” how it’s going to turn out.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day