- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Betting big that “Gangnam Style” won’t finally have gone the way of the “Macarena” by Feb. 3, Paramount Farms’ Wonderful Pistachios has booked Psy to star in its first-ever Super Bowl ad.
The Korean star, whose YouTube mega hit has notched a record-breaking 1.1 billion views, filmed the commercial Tuesday in North Hollywood, USA Today reported. It will be his first TV spot to air on American TV.
“He’s penetrated the cultural consciousness of the United States,” Marc Seguin, vp of marketing for Wonderful Pistachios, whose slogan is “get crackin!,” told USA Today. “We knew the Super Bowl would require something really special to stand out.”
Reportedly, Psy’s ubiquitous “Gangnam Style” will be heard in the 30-second commercial with new lyrics – presumably involving nuts. Psy is said to don a pistachio green suit in the commercial and to display a new way of cracking pistachios. Wonderful Pistachios also plans to place 50,000 pistachio displays with Psy’s image in supermarkets across the country.
Fictional characters featured in past Wonderful Pistachios spots from California-based Paramount Farms include Kermit the Frog and Bart and Homer Simpson.
Psy is currently at work on his first follow-up single to “Gangnam Style.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day