- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On Tuesday, Randy Newman performed his new song about Vladimir Putin, appropriately titled “Putin,” on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert.
Accompanying his performance were numerous pictures of Russia’s president, including the iconic one that inspired the song: shirtless Putin on a horse.
Newman’s song brings up events in Ukraine and Crimea in 2014 after an ode to “Putin girls”: “He and his ex-wife Lyudmila / Down here in Odessa / To check out the brand-new Russian Black Sea / The great man gazes across the water / And the great man speaks / ‘We fought a war for this? / I’m almost ashamed / The Mediterranean / Now that’s a resort worth fighting for.'”
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee covers it all in his song — we can only hope to get a sequel on Putin’s relationship with the 45th American president in the future.
The track is part of Newman’s new LP Dark Matter, set to drop Friday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day