- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Raven-Symone is back on TV, starring in the new ABC Family comedy series State of Georgia, which premiered Wednesday night.
Here are five things you didn’t know about the 25-year-old actress:
1. She’s been working her whole life. As an infant, she worked for Atlanta’s Young Faces Inc. Modeling Agency and appeared in local print ads. She then moved to New York, where she was signed with Ford Models as a toddler. She got her breakout role in The Cosby Show as Bill Cosby’s step-granddaughter, Olivia, before going on to co-star in Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper, That’s So Raven, The Cheetah Girls and the Dr. Dolittle films, among others. She also was named producer for That’s So Raven’s fourth season.
ABC Family to Expand Original Programming
2. She’s won a slew of awards for her work. For That’s So Raven, the actress earned three NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children’s Series/Special, two Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards for Favorite Television Actress and a Young Artist Award for Outstanding Young Performer. For Dr. Dolittle 2, she won an NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Youth Actor/Actress and a Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Award for Favorite Female Star. She also received the Young Artist Award for Exceptional Performance by a Young Actress Under Nine for The Cosby Show.
3. She recently lost 35 pounds. But the actress has never considered her weight a problem. “I thought I looked fabulous before, and nobody else did,” she told People. “So, whatever.”
ABC Family Greenlights Three Series
4. She’s a philanthropist. Raven-Symone is very active with the Make-a-Wish Foundation and Girls Incorporated, which provides vital educational programs to American girls, especially in high-risk, underserved areas.
5. She’s released four albums. They include 1993’s Here’s to New Dreams, 1999’s Undeniable, 2004’s This Is My Time and 2008’s Raven-Symone.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day