- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Boston Red Sox on Thursday said it was not intentional to snub former pitcher Curt Schilling the previous night when a number of former players from the 2004 championship team threw out the first pitch for Game 2.
Schilling — an extremely controversial media figure and diehard Trump supporter — lashed out against his former team and said on social media the decision was done on purpose to spite him.
Team spokeswoman Zineb Curran said that was not the case, according to The Boston Herald’s Laurel J. Sweet.
“The ceremonial first pitch started with a couple of 2004 guys and then grew organically as we learned of other ’04 players who were planning to be at the ballpark for Game 2,” Curran was quoted as saying. “There was no blanket invite to the entire team, and no slight intended to anyone not included.”
For a time, Schilling was an analyst for ESPN, but he was fired in 2016 for comments he made about transgender individuals.
Before that, Schilling had been suspended by the network after posting a tweet comparing Muslims to Nazis.
He retired from professional baseball in 2009 after 20 seasons in the league.
Schilling joined Breitbart in 2016.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day