- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Most people might be upset over getting canceled by Oprah Winfrey. But from Rosie O’Donnell’s perspective, Winfrey did the right thing by cutting her low-rated talk show loose.
“It was fair,” said O’Donnell, addressing the cancellation on the Chicago set of The Rosie Show.
“Listen: Oprah gave me an amazing shot at doing this. She really did. She put me back on TV. She believed in me. I didn’t even know if I could do it again,” she added.
On Friday, OWN announced it had pulled the plug on O’Donnell’s show, which had been tweaked to include more one-on-one interviews over the course of five months, resulting in dismal average ratings of 190,000 viewers.
“And off I came here to Chicago, with the best of intentions, trying, really, to do … what I thought would be kind of easy for me,” said O’Donnell. “But it wasn’t really that easy. We sort of started off the wrong way. We were kind of trying to do a little bit of what we had done 15 years ago, and you can’t do it.”
She and the Rosie team switched up the show’s format in recent months, and “by that time we had lost a lot of momentum,” she noted. “Here’s the bottom line: it’s a business, right? It didn’t make financial sense to continue the show as it was because of the amount of viewers.”
Nevertheless, she continued, “Oprah has treated me with nothing but respect and with dignity from day one. … It’s not a nightmare — it’s a good thing.”
(As for Donald Trump’s not-so-shockingly predictable reaction to the news, O’Donnell has yet to respond. A rep for the star declined comment when reached by THR.)
Watch O’Donnell’s post-OWN cancellation response below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day