- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC Family’s Mystery Girls is going drag — kind of.
The half-hour multicamera comedy starring Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth as former ’90s TV detectives has booked RuPaul Charles, host of Logo’s popular drag queen competition RuPaul’s Drag Race, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
PHOTOS Broadcast TV’s New Shows for 2014-15 Season
Charles, who will not be in drag for his one-episode guest spot, will play the flamboyant, theatrical and narcissistic Emilio San Juan. One of the hottest fashion designers in the world, he is driven and obsessive but has a playful side. He is horrified when his new handbag, which he plans to debut at that evening’s fashion show, suddenly goes missing. Immediately, he has the Mystery Girls on the case.
Filming begins next week for a planned August airdate.
Charles is repped by CAA. Best known as simply RuPaul, Charles has appeared out of drag several times in TV and movies, most recently on The Face, Life With LaToya and shows such as RuPaul’s Drag U and RuPaul’s All-Stars.
Mystery Girls airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on ABC Family.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day