- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Salem isn’t afraid to go for it.
WGN America’s first scripted series debuts in mere days and the full-length trailer has ups the creep factor. There’s a desperation in the town of Salem to rid of any witchcraft or semblance of supernatural magic. Just in the first 10 seconds, you see a man publicly apologizing for his own “self-pollution” as he is whipped by the town seniors.
See, the town of Salem, Mass., is in “a witch panic” — so much so that they recruit men to subdue a girl they believe to be under the spell of witchcraft. But what they haven’t accounted for is that there are far worse things than witchcraft: a witch.
“What if the witches were not the common folk?” proposes John Alden (Shane West). “What if the witches were those we’ve been entrusted to lead?”
Salem is not your parents’ witch drama — it’s rated MA (mature audiences), for one thing. It doesn’t shy away from the horror, intensity and danger that informs a life lived in a world that counts witches among them. There are images of townspeople being hanged, getting tortured and the sensuality surrounding dark magic.
Watch the trailer below.
Salem debuts Sunday at 10 p.m. on WGN America.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day